1. Pre heat oven with baking stone on the lowest rack to 500° F.
2. Heat a medium to large sized sauté pan on high. Turn to medium and cook bacon until slightly crisp. Remove from pan and discard bacon fat leaving 2 Tbsp.
3. Add onions, cook until soft and slightly browned. Add water, cook until reduced.
4. Add sugar and vinegar, turn to low, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cool.
5. In a small sauce pot heat honey and habanero on medium low for 10 minutes or until pepper flavor is infused.
6. In a small bowl mix olive oil, garlic, and pepper flakes.
7. On a lightly floured pizza peel, gently stretch dough to a roughly 14” diameter. Brush oil mix onto entire pizza.
8. Top with mozzarella, sausage, and dollops of bacon jam.
9. Season with pepper and slide onto baking stone, cook for ~3 1/2-4 minutes. Turn pizza 180° & continue to cook for ~3-4 minutes, or until crust is golden brown & the cheese is sufficiently melted.
10. Finish by drizzling honey and garnishing with fresh basil.
Living in the Northern California valley I am surrounded by farms that grow some of the best produce in the country, including wine grapes. This pizza is dedicated to the Honey bees. This tiny creature is single handily responsible for most of the food we eat today. So we celebrate one of natures marvels with a sweet, smokey, and spicy pie!