Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes (+ 4 hours 10 minutes standing time)
- Dough: In bowl, stir together 1/4 cup flour, warm water, yeast and sugar; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture starts to look bubbly and frothy. Using wooden spoon, stir in olive oil, remaining flour and salt to make loose dough. Transfer to lightly floured surface; knead for 10 to 15 minutes, adding flour as needed, to make soft, elastic, and slightly sticky dough.
- Form dough into ball; transfer to lightly greased bowl. Brush top of dough lightly with oil; cover with wet kitchen towel. Let stand in warm spot for about 2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch down dough; transfer to airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate overnight; let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Toppings: Place 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and preheat to 500ºF. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook onion, red pepper, fennel, salt and pepper, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Transfer to plate; wipe skillet clean.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook sausage, breaking up into smaller pieces with wooden spoon. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into 14-inch round. Add remaining oil to preheated cast iron skillet. Carefully transfer dough to heated skillet, pressing evenly up side of skillet.
- Spread pizza sauce over dough. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella; top with sautéed onion mixture and cooked sausage. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and chili flakes.
- Return skillet to oven; bake on bottom rack for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden and crisp and cheese is melted. Let cool slightly.
- For a zesty kick, try using hot Italian sausage – or for a sweeter note, use a honey-garlic or sweet Italian sausage.