We have been making a variation of this recipe for many years for our events here at the winery. We use a mixture of rice wine vinegar and citrus to marinate the beets. Such a great combination!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub the beets and trim stem ends. Place in the center of a large piece of aluminum foil and wrap into a purse. Place in oven and roast for about 45 mins to an hour, or until beets are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beets and slice into wedges. Place in a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle with S&P and then cover with 1/4 cup orange juice and the rice wine vinegar. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be marinated up to two days ahead of time.)
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients and shake well in a mason jar. If it is too vinegar-y, add a touch more sugar.
- When ready to serve, place the washed greens in a large bowl. Toss with enough vinaigrette to moisten. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Arrange the beet wedges, the almonds and the goat cheese on top of the greens. Salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste.