Farm to Dessert Fork? YES!! This recipe is a delicious way to combine some of the best of our fall produce. Ripe pears are a beautiful “pear”ing with dark chocolate in a dish to savor as the weather starts to chill.
Serve warm and a la mode snuggled on the couch watching the first of those leaves fall…
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter or grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle the bottom evenly with the chocolate chunks.
- Cut the bread slices in half, diagonally. Arrange in the dish, alternating bread slice, pear slice, bread slice, pear slice, until the dish is full.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently whisk together the eggs and yolks, milk, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and pears and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar and bake in the oven until the custard is set, about 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.