This rustic plum galette is the perfect mid-summer treat.
Substitute homemade pie crust with pre-made crust for a quick and easy dessert.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Making Homemade Crust: 80 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- If making homemade crust, make dough at least an hour in advance. (If using pre-made dough, skip this step and go to next step.) Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter to the dough and use your (clean) hands or a pastry blender to work the butter into the dough until the mixture resembled crumbs, with pieces of butter no bigger than a pea. Add the sour cream to the mixture and mix in with a fork. Gather the dough into a ball with your hands and flatten into a disk shape. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour (it will need chilling to firm up) before rolling out.
- In a medium sized bowl, gently toss the plum slices with the sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, zest, and instant tapioca (or flour).
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator to let stand for 5 minutes before rolling out. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, or lightly butter a baking sheet. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the pie dough to a 13-inch round of even thickness. (If using pre-made dough, no need to roll out dough.)
- Place rolled-out dough in the center of the lined or buttered baking sheet. Arrange the plum slices in a circular pattern, starting from 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the outside edge of the dough, working your way into the center. Fold the edges of the pie crust up and over so that circle of the filling is visible.
- If you want an attractive finish for the crust, whisk together the egg and cream in a small bowl. Brush on the exposed pastry crust with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with some coarse sugar.
- Place in the middle rack of the oven. Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbly. Cool on a rack for an hour before serving.